Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2010

A look at the 2010 Free Agent Class (offense)...


I see a few pressing needs for us this offseason. The first would be the second most important position on any NFL team: back up QB. A high quality back up is invaluable. I prefer a seasoned vet to a young wanna-be. I like the idea of keeping Eric Ainge on our roster. He has some serious upside, and even though our future franchise QB wears number six, an insurance policy like Ainge can be very useful. For now I think he needs to stay in the #3 spot. As for the #2 QB, I only see 3 potential FA's of interest.

Chad Pennington will probably be available. First, he has to decide if he can accept that he's not a starter anymore. If he can handle that concept, the next question is: will he want to wear the green and white again? He can become the best back up QB in the NFL, but I don't think he fits here.

Next up is John Kitna. He's 37 and doesn't have much left in the tank. If Mark was to go down late in the season a guy like Kitna could have a chance to carry the team through the playoffs. I guess he wouldn't be a bad choice, if he can pass a physical.

Finally we have Mr. Rex Grossman. He's 30 years old, and hasn't started a game in over two years. I feel he got a bad wrap in Chi-town and I would have no problem with him backing up the Sanchise. He can play the position, and if Mark went down long term he has the best chance of taking the reigns and keeping the ship afloat.

Our backfield is a real position of interest this offseason. I would love to get our hands on Le'Ron McClain of Baltimore. He's only 25 and could develop into an elite FB. There aren't any other obtainable backs of any high value on the market this year. The status of Leon Washington is ultra important to the NY Jets. Obviously we have the young Greene on our roster, but he is not qualified to carry the load for us at this early point of his career. A backfield with a 100% rehabilitated Washington and McClain would put us in a solid position. Some big big question marks.

As for the WR's I would like to see us hold on to Edwards, Clowney and Brad Smith. I wouldn't give any of them big, long term contracts. Those three combined with Cotchery and Keller are a pretty dynamic squad.

I wouldn't do much regarding the offensive line, but I would try to target a a right tackle in the draft to take Woody's place in the next year or two.

As for the TE and kicker positions I would target two Patriots. Ben Watson is available and would be a perfect compliment to Dustin Keller. He could really be the missing piece to our entire offense. Stephen Gostkowski will also be up for grabs, and I think he has a very bright future in this league. He's done a good job in New England and I am sure the stingy Pats won't pay him what he's worth. I would love to sign both of these chowder heads.

Stay tuned for my defensive free agent list...

No comments:

Post a Comment