Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The atmosphere with 4 days to go...


I have had some real issues with the consistency of the 2009 NY Jets. Most people felt it was a foregone conclusion that we would win week 17 vs. the Bengals. I wasn't so confident, but we won, and won big. I didn't think Sanchez was capable of winning a playoff game this season, and he played very well in Cincinnati. I was sure the game in San Diego was going to be the end of the road for us, and I was satisfied with our first season under new management. I thought we had already peaked and I was also feeling that we were lucky to have matched up with an overrated Bengals team. Well, as we all know, the Jets went to California and played even better against one of the NFL's most complete teams and their elite QB. And again, #6 got the job done.

I can say with confidence that the Saints, Colts, and Vikings are three of the most complete teams in this league and definitely deserve to be in the final four. I can say the same thing about the New York Jets. We have earned our place in the Championship game and we got their with a rookie QB. The other three teams that are still alive have elite veteran signal callers. Our opponent this week may have the best QB of all time behind center, and he is the league MVP... for the fourth time.

On paper it looks unlikely, improbable and a real long shot. As a fan, for the first time this season, I believe we can go head to head with a great team and win. This is the perfect game for us, because if we win everyone who has been attacking the Jets for 'backing' into the playoffs will have to sit down and shut up. I have been a Jets fan since the mid 1980's. If we win this game, the two weeks leading into the Superbowl will be some of the best of my life... and I am 100% sure of this.

Former Jets coach Bill Parcells once said that the whole reason he coached, the goal of the whole adventure, was to stand in the tunnel waiting to be introduced at the Superbowl. What that represents to him is opportunity. There are so many things that can go wrong in the coarse of the season and post season that can prevent any team from making it to the big game. When you get your shot it is a true miracle. It requires heart, perseverance, and a lot of luck.

I have personally waited 25 years for this chance, and some Jets fans have waited 4 decades. I am not afraid to put my faith in this team because during the past 4 weeks they have shown me that they have matured and that they are hungry... even starving.

So are their fans, lets go JETS!

No comments:

Post a Comment