Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

Absolut Bullshit... Grading NFL coaches in 2009

How and when do teams decide to make a change at the head coaching spot, and why do they pick who they pick?

I'll start with Marvin Lewis. I attacked the Bengals for keeping him as their coach this past offseason. I also apologized at the mid-way point of the season when they got off to a hot start. I said I was wrong and I was impressed by their defense and the way they were winning close games. The second half of the season was very rough in Cincinnati and the Jets beat them back to back weeks and ended their 'Cinderella' season. It became obvious to me that Mike Zimmer the Bengals Def. coordinator was the difference in this team. Lewis has been the headcoach of this team for SIX years... yes SIX years. He has a below .500 record and zero playoff wins. NOW IS THE TIME TO MAKE A CHANGE CINCINNATI! Jeeeeze.

I am not a believer in making changes after one season, but I can't knock the Seahawks for dumping Jim Mora for Pete Carol. I don't think anyone expected the Seahawks to make the playoffs, but 5-11... seriously? That is not acceptable anyway you look at it. There is a realistic chance Reggie Bush gets cut by the Saints in the offseason because of his ridiculous contract. I'm pretty sure Matt Lienhart would be available for a bargain price via trade this offseason. Wouldn't t be an awesome story if Carol decided to try and reunite his two stars who hae disappointed in the NFL in an attempt to resurrect their careers and the Seahawks all at the same time? Just a thought.

I am shocked that Tom Cable and Eric Mangini still have their jobs, and the Chan Gailey hiring has me dumbfounded... but all three of those teams are complete non-factors year after year, so who really cares?

I like that Jerry Jones had the balls to retain Wade Phillips. He has done an excellent job with the Cowboys and he has a knack for dealing with all of those over inflated ego's. His players play hard for him ad he deserves to finish what he started. However, I think this decision says more about Jason Garrett than is does Wilson. Garrett was the heir apparent a few years back and he has turned down at least two offers to be a headcoach elsewhere. Obviously Jones is not convinced about him.

If I were the owner of the Titans I would hold Jeff Fisher accountable for making the horrible decision of starting Collins and benching Vince Young during the first half of the season. When they were 0-5 Fisher still didn't want to make a change until the owner demanded it. Young took the field and did what he always does... win games. If you are an owner and you need to demand roster moves... and it completely turns the season around, it's time to find a new coach. The Titans have a player who broke the all time yards from scrimmage record including over 2000 rushing yards, and they couldn't even get a wildcard birth? Over 15 years with the team and Fisher still hasn't won the big game yet? Time to move on.

I like how the Panthers are giving John Fox on final year to turn things around in Carolina. If he can dig up another QB everything will fall into place for that team. I really respect Fox, and it would have been very easy to dump him. Instead the Panthers are letting him finish the last year of his contract and it may pay huge dividends for them.

I would say the most disappointing rookie head coaching debut this past season was Steve Spagnuolo in ST. Louis. If I were to score a job as the headcoach of an NFL franchise one of my first priorities would be to establish who my QB was going to be. I know it is very very very hard to find a productive QB in tis league. 75% of the teams in the NFL are struggling to find the right guy. That being said, the last person on the face of the earth I would allow to compete for that important job on my team would be Kyle Boller. What in the world was Spagnuolo thinking giving this guy a roster spot, not to mention starting him? Bad move Steve.

My final coach I will mention is Jim Caldwell of the Colts. Dude... I could probably coach that team and win 14 games. I don't care what anyone has to say, Peyton Manning runs that team. Caldwell has hit the NFL lottery by scoring that job. Much like George Seifert in San Francisco and Barry Switzer in Dallas. It's hard to grade a rookie headcoach when they are taking over an elite team. I guess he gets an A+ for keeping his mouth shut and not messing anything up.

No comments:

Post a Comment