Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jets sweep the Bengals and then stomp the Chargers


I was away on business from the January 3rd until January 17th. I wasn't able to update this blog but I did keep up with gang green and boy how things have changed in 14 short days. We have gone from a team that needed a win just to have a shot at the post season, to the final four and a rematch with the Colts. Winning in Cincinnati and following that up with a win on the west coast is certainly no small accomplishment. Our Jets have overachieved and they go into next weeks game with nothing to lose.

The past two weeks will be looked back upon as a true turning point in the history of this franchise. We have a stable of young players that make up an excellent nucleus. Players like D'Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Sanchez, Greene, Keller, Cotchery, and Leonhard are all 27 years old or younger. These are all pro-bowl caliber players. We also have a nice group of role players like Erik Smith, Lowery and Strickland who are also young.

Two players who are not on that list are Braylon Edwards and Leon Washington. I just don't know if these players will be with us in 2010. Washington is a big question mark because of his major season ending injury. We may also have a shot at signing Reggie Bush if he is dumped by the Saints this offseason. If we have a choice I would probably chose Bush, for reasonable money. As for #17, I have been so disgusted with his lackadaisical approach to the game, I would like to see him set free once the season is over. I have seen enough... Edwards will only slow down Mark's progression instead of help it. Edwards= Fail.

But, before we start thinking about our bright future we still have a game to play this coming Sunday at 3pm. As a die hard NFL fan I always tell people my favorite day of the year is 'Championship Sunday'. For the first time in a decade I will get to see my Jets play for 60 minutes to see if they can win a golden ticket to the biggest game of them all. Wow, what a feeling.

#24 continues to prove week after week that he is the REAL defensive player of the year, and I was also surprised to see Marvin Lewis win coach of the year after going 9-7 and taking an early exit in the playoffs. Oh, well... there is only one trophy that Rex and Revis have their eyes on... the Lombardi.

Sanchez and Ryan have shown amazing growth during the past month and I am one thrilled Jets fan. Mr. T has secured his spot thanks to the group of young players he has targeted over the past 4 years. I disagreed with much of his vision for this team, but results are what matters, and he couldn't ask for much more from his 2009 squad.

My number one concern going into the season was our defensive line. When Jenkins went down I basically wrote off our defense. I am shocked at how veterans like Ellis have stepped up and how Pohua and Douglas have held it down. That group has been the most pleasant surprise of 2009 for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment