Search This Blog

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Marcus Mariota

Ok, last year I really took notice of this kid. This past college season I fell in love. But I realized that his NFL transition will be a challenge. I also have some issues with his frame. He's skinny and that's especially dangerous for a mobile QB. But, as I read back over my posts here from the past few months I noticed that I have waffled a lot. I've been all over the map with this guy. At one point he looked like the clear #1, but I think Winston has settled in at that spot. Tampa loves him, and he is way bigger and NFL ready.

So Mariota suddenly looks very much like he may be available with our #6 pick. This is where I stand. Taking a guy in the top 10 who is not a day one starter, no matter what position he plays, is simply a waste. I think Geno will beat this guy in the preseason. I also think the microscope that is the NFL's biggest market is the wrong place for a guy like this. However, Chan Gailey is a guy who could realistically do wonders for this kid.

This is where I start to waffle. So I'll make it clear:

If Harvin and Decker are our top 2 targets going into the draft I pass on Mariota at #6 unless we can do a draft and trade like the Chargers did with Eli in 2004.

If we make some-sort-of move and land a #1 WR to compliment Decker, Harvin and Kerly I would consider Mariota at 6. There are rumors about Brandon Marshall being traded to the Jets. With Marshall, Decker, Harvin, Amaro, Kerly, Ivory and Spiller.... This might be enough to give this guy a leg up and win games as a rookie.

The final scenario would be a team late in the first round trading up for a WR like Cooper or White and swapping 1st rounders with us (as well as a bunch of additional compensation for us obviously). If that were to happen, and Mariota slips down to the late 1st I'd take him there. Anywhere from picks 25-38 would be the sweet spot to take him. Then he could sit year one and learn.

He has the character, leadership, he solid when dealing with the press but he's also reserved and humble, which is ideal in NY. Eli has all of these qualities... and two rings to go with it. Not being an exciting press conference guy can serve you well in the Big Apple sports world. He also brings that dynamic ability to run with the ball that is so important in the new millennium NFL. When 325lb guys can run a sub 5 40 yard dash, you need a mobile QB. It's not a black and white decision, and I hope the Jets make the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment