Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Round 1


Some thoughts about the first 28 picks. First off, I love this prime-time thing. I watched the entire first round and will probably watch all of 2 and 3 tonight. Ratings were up 30% and I think this new format is a winner.

  • Bradford to The Rams is gunna' be a car wreck. He looked like a deer in the headlights when they called his name. The formula of the 1st round QB to the team that is completely devoid of talent usually end up badly for everyone involved. If there was ever a time for one of those John Elway or Eli Manning stand off's, when a player makes it clear they won't play for a team if they draft them, this was it. Good luck with your paper mache signal caller.
  • Anthony Davis at #11... and the 49ers traded up for him? Just don't like chasing a guy who has a reputation of being lazy and picking him in a spot that will demand big bucks. He was an early 2nd rounder to me.
  • Ryan Mathews at 12 seemed like a reach to me to, but how can I criticize the guy who drafted L.T., Michael Turner and Sproules?
  • The Giants got their guy at #15. JPP is the prototype Giants pass rusher. No brainer. I am not a JPP fan, but he fits them so perfectly.
  • Love Mike Iupati at #17. If Davis does pan out, the 49ers have a very nice young nucleus on the O-line including Joe Staley.
  • Bryan Bulaga at #23 is the steal of the draft IMO. I ranked him as my #2 overall player this year. Solid 10 year starter and future probowler. Nice pick up!
  • Dez Bryant will do well in Big D. I felt he had a lot of bust potential, but in Dallas he may flourish. He and Austin will light it up. The Cowboys now have an excellent QB, two starters at the TE spot, two starters at the HB position and two big playmaking WR's. If the O-line holds up, watch out.
  • The Broncos went crazy this year. They traded all over the place to position themselves to pick up a player who would have probably been available on day two. I don't think any other team would have touched Teabow before Clausen, and he is still on the board. He will get 20 million (at least) to play maybe 5-10 snaps a game in special packages. I don't get it. Love their pick up of Thomas from Georgia Tech!
  • The Pats took McCourty to prevent the Jets and Dolphins from getting him. They simply don't have a need at that position. I see it as a desperation move. They have a ton of holes to fill... CB isn't one of them.
  • So glad we didn't take Odrick, he is a complete bust as far as I am concerned.

When #29 came up and Kindle, Hughes (my fav) and Kyle Wilson were all still on the board I was nothing short of shocked. I never mentioned Wilson because I didn't see any chance he would make it out of the top 15. he is arguably the best cover corner in this draft. So many teams are desperate to fill holes in their secondary.. how did this guy slip down to us??? Who cares, he's ours and we are rock solid now at one of the most important positions on an NFL squad.

For the record I would have preferred Jerry Hughes (who was snatched up by the Colts), but Mr. T got his man, and I can see very clearly what an impact this pick will have for us. I have to think that we passed on Kindle and Hughes only because it would send a 'once and for all' message that we are done with Gholston. Thats a hard thing for any GM to absorb... a complete bust with the #6 overall pick.

Looking forward to round two. Wouldn't be shocked if we trade up for a D-linemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment