Search This Blog

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Doesn't this guy look thrilled??!?!

A few quick thoughts about the past week. I am soooo glad Jay Cutler didn't land in NY. If we end up 3-13 with Clemens and Ratliff throwing for a combined 20 plus picks I may feel a bit different, but for now I am glad he is not here and is not in the AFC anymore for that matter. The Bears gave up Kyle Orton two 1st round picks and a 3rd. That’s a lot for Jay to live up to. Chicago is known to chew up QB's and spit them out, will they cut a hometown boy a break? Without an elite target like Brandon Marshall, I smell disaster in the windy city.

The Detroit Lions were very interested in Cutler and I can only imagine what he, Kevin Smith and Calvin Johnson could have accomplished together. One quick note about what Detroit should do with the number one overall pick: The Lions are obviously starting from scratch with one of the biggest reclamation projects ever. A franchise QB would be an important building block. However, taking a QB #1 overall in a draft that is as weak as this one at that position makes no sense. They have so many spots to fill they should take the best available player.

The Mock draft boards around the universe are fluctuating and no two experts agree on what the NY Jets will do with the #17 pick. All I can say is if we take a QB in the first round it will be another bad move in a long long history of draft blunders. Benie Wells is a one trick pony, and the only other RB who would be considered at #17 would be my man Knowshon. I have been real clear about what I think of Moreno.

As for Plax, I would assume that the Giants have something up their sleeve considering the timing of his release. I have a feeling Braylon Edwards or Anquan Boldin will end up with the G-men. Would I be interested in Burress? Why not? He will play again eventually. Wrap him up now for short money if you can, I think they call that buying low. I wouldn't count on him being a big part of the offense any time soon, but when he is cleared to play why not have the rights to him?

Now that the Giants officially have a gaping hole at WR I am sure they are targeting one with their first pick. All of this is driving Kenny Britt from Rutgers up the draft board. I think if we want him we would have to use our #1 pick, and that's a little too high for him.

I just don't see how the Jets will fill their own hole at WR. I suggested a trade for Edwards from the Browns, or chasing free agent Tory Holt. I don't see either one of those things happening. I hope the powers that be realize a young QB can't excel with out a true #1 threat at WR.

One final note on the Jets planning on a portion of their summer training camp being held in upstate NY. I don’t care! I care about winning and a Super Bowl. Frankly I am pretty surprised that the multi-million dollar facility in Florham Park doesn’t include some simple dorms to be used during camp each year, but the alternative is the players spending summer camp sleeping in a comfortable hotel. That’s not what camp is about. It’s about getting ready for the season not ordering room service and pay-per-view movies. Right on REX!!!!


J.Wagner

No comments:

Post a Comment