Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

First 4 rounds of the draft, 2 scenarios



So I have identified a number of players who I like in this years draft. Obviously the draft will have a lot to do with who we land in free agency and who we let leave for free agency.

I'm not going to go into great detail about what I would like to see the Jets do in free agency. Free agency is important, but every player who was allowed to hit the market by their previous team was allowed to do so for significant reasons. ALL OF THEM. Durability, bad attitudes, off the field concerns, age, .... they wouldn't hit the market if they were solid gold. Free agents aren't the foundation of a team, and The NY Jets need a foundation. That will come in this years draft. I hope.

I will just say, for now, that we need veteran savvy free agents in our secondary, O-line and LB corps. I'll list some names in the next few weeks.

As for the draft. I will list what moves I would make if we release Harvin and do not trade our #6 overall pick away, and another scenario where we keep Harvin and do trade our top pick. If we release Harvin we lose our 6th round pick, if we keep him we lose our 4th rounder.

The first scenario is pretty basic with everything saying status quo. its simply the #6 pick in the first 4 rounds. Nothing more nothing less.

Round #1- I'm listing more than one name because it's hard to say who will be left on the board at #6. This is my list in order of who I'd want. Kevin White, Shane Ray, Fowler Jr., Mariota

Round #2- I'd take either WR Dorsett from Miami or WR Green-Beckham if we don't land White with our first pick. If we do take White I'm going for an O-linemen like Koandjio from Alabama or Erving from Florida State.

Round #3- I want Duke Johnson or Jay Ajai at this spot. No question.

Round #4- I'd love to take TE Nick O'Leary here but I think he will be gone. If we can't move up to the late 3rd to land this talented TE I take a shot at QB Bryan Bennett from South Eastern Louisiana. He was Mariotas back up and transferred to a small school so he could get on the field. He is athletic, mobile and has a nice arm. He's a project player, but mid round QB's usually are. He has upside, could become a starter in a few years.

Scenario #2 involves trading our #6 pick for Nick Foles. I see Foles as our only real solution when trying to find a real franchise QB in 2015. If we can't land him we will go into camp with Geno, Simms, a rookie and maybe a guy like Matt Moore or Jimmy Clausen. Which means we won't be very competitive.

So I hope we take our #6 and trade it for the Eagles #20, Nick Foles and their 4th round pick. I think that could happen and it would help to replace the 4th rounder we would lose for keeping Harvin.

Round #1- (Number 20 overall). La'el Collins offensive tackle.
Round #2- Dorsett or Green-Beckham
Round #3- Johnson or Ajai
Round #4- (via trade with Philly)Kyle Emanuel ILB Great guy to pair with Davis in the middle.

...and for the record Bryan Bennett will probably still be available with our 5th round pick and I would land him there.

Scenario #2 would give us Foles, Ivory/Johnson, Harvin, Decker, Dorsett (or Green-Beckham), Kerly, Amaro, D'Brick, Mangold, Collins, Giacomini and hopefully a big name FA guard like Iupati from the 49ers.

That's a top 5 offense with Chan Gailey running the show. No matter how you look at it you will see my main focus in this draft is OFFENSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment