Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

After 6 weeks I can say definitively..


...that these are the top 10 teams of 2010. I ranked my top 10 teams heading into training camp in this post back in June.

I ranked the teams by talent, but I also followed that post with a playoff bracket. Remember, this was back in June when nobody else had the balls to even name a Superbowl pick. Some of the top 10 teams, notably the Saints, aren't on my playoff bracket. It's hard to do a complete evaluation before the season has begun. 6 weeks in it's a little more clear.

Here I will combine my top teams and playoff bracket all in one. How about top 12 teams? All will see the post season IMHO. Before I even list them, the Giants, Saints, Bears, Chiefs and Patriots will not be on this list. Chill.

#1) The Pittsburgh Steelers: They beat Atlanta and Tennessee with out a QB. Wow. With Polamalu healthy they are a force to be reckoned with. I give them a slight advantage over the Jets because their QB and coach both have SB rings. But, the past doesn't help you win next weeks game, it just gets you a little more respect.

#2) The Mighty New York Jets: Complete team all around with an excellent coaching staff. We live and die with our offensive coordinator. When he is in rhythm he has unlimited weapons. When he is trying to be a superstar play caller he can cost us games. We NEED Shonn Greene to come alive and balance our ground game. Fear Revis and Croamrtie when healthy at the same time.

#3) The Indianapolis Colts: They have struggled a great deal so far in 2010. Peyton Manning is their QB. Do I need to say more? They are probably about equal talent wise to the Packers and Ravens, but #18 is what always has and always will set them apart. The Jets and Steelers are only ahead of them because they have far superior defenses.

#4) The Green Bay Packers: They may be the most well rounded team, but you have to win games to be at the top of this list. 3-3 doesn't cut it. The Ryan Grant injury has been downplayed. Not too many people paid any attention to it. If they can find a solid RB, I stand by my pick of them representing the NFC in the SB. Wow, one NFC team in the top 5.

#5) The Baltimore Ravens: Finally Flacco and Rice are starting to produce (my fantasy team thanks you). This is a squad that is simply built to win playoff games. Once Ed reed is back... watch out. I expect a different outcome the next time they meet the Steelers.

#6) The Minnesota Vikings: Moss, Peterson, Favre, Harvin, Shiancoe and soon Rice???? Sorry, but they are in the playoffs... if Favre still has a heartbeat. Not sure why the defense has been so lackluster, but they should figure it out.

#7) The Atlanta Falcons: They have one of my favorite coaches and a legitimate QB. Their backfield is solid, but Ryan needs one more solid target other than White and Gonzalez. My SB picks are Green Bay and the Jets, but if I had a sleeper it may be....

#8) The Tennessee Titans: CJ2K, Young and Britt are starting to gel. They also have the best back up QB in football the best defense no one is talking about. The Texans and Jags are pretenders, Jeff Fishers group are contenders. Run the ball and play great defense... anyone seeing a pattern here?

#9) The Dallas Cowboys: Yeah, I said it! If this seems like a long shot, wait until you see #12. I am sticking to my original assessment. They are a top 5 team talent wise, I think they will somehow make a run and sneak their way in. They are just so much more talented than the other NFC teams they will be fighting against. Come on Wade, this is your last chance to live up to big Daddy... go for it! And for God's sake, give Felix Jones some more touches.

#10) The San Diego Chargers: Simply by default. The Chiefs and Raiders are garbage. Oakland actually released in the press that their 'entire roster was on the block' as the trade deadline approached and passed. The Broncos are just too beat up. They were ravaged in the offseason and now they are even worse. So, AJ Smith and his dysfunctional family limp into the playoffs. Anyone remember that dude who use to play RB there? And that other DB who made the probowl a few years back. Smith dumped both of them... are they still in the NFL?

#11) The Washington Redskins: I picked them to make the playoffs in June and I am sticking with this one too. I like what I have seen so far. Shanahan gives them an identity. The only question here is McNabb's health. If he keeps ticking, they make the post season. Sorry G-men and Philly. I think the Giants will implode and that whole QB situation is very tricky in the city of brotherly love. The old saying goes "if you have 2 starting QB's then you don't have 1". The Skins have 1.

#12) The San Francisco 49ers: I just love Singletary, Gore and their defense. Smith kinda' sucks, but with weapons like Crabtree and Davis hopefully they can start winning and beat out the other 3 horrible teams in their division. Again, I guess I am being stubborn, but I just can't see any of those other NFC West teams in the post season. They have only played 1 division game thus far, so a turn around is very possible.

So, to recap...

The Steelers, Jets, Colts and Chargers win their divisions. The Ravens and Titans beat out the Patriots for the wildcard.

The Cowboys, Packers, 49ers and Falcons win their divisions. The Vikings and Redskins beat out the Giants and Saints for the wildcard.

I see The Jets vs. the Steelers/Colts in the AFCCG.

I see The Packers vs. The Vikings/Falcons in the NFCCG

And of coarse, Jets vs. Packers in the big game, with my beloved Jets as the Champions!

My entire playoff bracket on the NFC side has stayed the same since June, even considering the slow start of the Cowboys and 49ers. On the AFC side I have replaced the Patriots and Bengals with The Steelers and Titans.

I never thought the Steelers would get off to such a good start with out their QB, so I counted them out... considering how competitive the AFC is. As for the Titans, I thought that Young was going to be suspended like Big Ben, so I also counted them out as well. Things have changed since the early summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment