Search This Blog

Monday, June 28, 2010

My Top 10 teams as we head into T.C.


This is my break down of the top 10 teams in the NFL heading into training camp. And yes, the Jets are on my list. Not because they made it to the AFC Championship game last year, and not because of the flashy FA's or the swaggerlicious jabber. It's because they have an excellent blend of various skill sets and players at different stages of their careers.

I have been clear about my feelings regarding Taylor and Tomlinson. I don't see either making a huge impact, and I have a lot of disdain for both of them. That being said, they have experience, which there is obviously no substitute for. They both are future HOFer's and I am sure they want a ring more than anything. I don't think they are here because they feel so sure that the Jets are their golden ticket to the big game. After coming up short so many times I would think they are pretty cynical by now. But, if we are playing at a high level heading into the playoffs, I expect both of them to come alive and go for broke.

OK, enough stalling... here's my list:

#1) Minnesota Vikings: If #4 returns... and stays healthy (which may seem like an absurd thing to say, but he is OLD)... they are the team to beat. Most complete team by far.

#2) Indianapolis Colts: Their offense is going to be so explosive, and Manning will play with a serious chip on his shoulder. I still have questions about their head coach, but the best QB of all time is on their roster... and he shows no signs of slowing down.

#3) Green Bay Packers: I would place them at #1, but I have some serious questions about their defense. They are still trying to convert to a 3-4 defense. The transition was kinda' sloppy last year, if Dom Capers can get it together in 2010 I think the Pack may be Superbowl bound.

#4) New Orleans Saints: I had an good feeling about them last year at this time. I have an equally bad feeling about them this time around. I think the Falcons are going to take that division and the Saints will be lucky to make the post season. It's not because of a lack of talent or quality coaching. I just see a post SB slump in the big easy. It's hard to explain, I think they are the 4th best team, but because of a number of factors (not the least of which is the oil spill and it's effect on the region) I see them struggling.

#5) The Mighty NEW YORK JETS: I have already said a lot already on this subject... but I think that if they win their first two games they may very well make a Suberbowl run. Nuff' said!

#6) Dallas Cowboys: There will be HUGE changes in big D next season if they don't make it to the big game in 2010. Jerry Jones has been dreaming of home field advantage in the Superbowl ever since he saw the first blueprints for his new stadium. I expect the Cowboys to dominate the Eagles and Giants... the Redskins are the real X-factor here.

#7) Baltimore Ravens: Another team with an excellent blend of hungry players with varying levels of experience. They have solid leaders at key positions including linebacker and QB... they sport a solid O-line, a dynamic RB, and FINALLY.... a legitimate receiver! You're welcome Jersey Joe Flacco.

#8) San Diego Chargers: Not the sexiest team in the league anymore, but they have an elite QB and a opportunistic defense. Not many teams can claim that. I am very interested in what they will do with Vincent Jackson. He is a key piece to the puzzle and A.J. Smith is treating him like garbage.

#9) New England Patriots: That defense is not very talented, but Belichick is one of the great defensive minds in the NFL. If anyone can make lemonade here it's him. Oh and there is also that guy Tom Brady.. heard of him?

#10) Atlanta Falcons: They fit into the same category as the Packers. On paper they look pretty good, but they are unproven. I can't place them higher than the Saints when they are coming off a SB win. That being said, I see their season lasting longer than New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment