Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

More draft thoughts: Potential busts





Our current #29 overall pick is one massive question mark. Experts everywhere are throwing out names like Taylor Mays the huge safety from USC, Dez Bryant the WR from Oklahoma State (who is slipping down the draft board steadily), Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame, and Jared Odrick the 300lb DT who would move to DE in our 3-4 scheme.

For various reasons I feel each of these players would be poor values in the late first round. They all have major "BUST" potential, especially Mays. Mays is a 3rd round talent in my humble opinion. He is capable of a few highlight hits but overall he is a poor tackler. He also has poor instincts and ball skills. He's just a big physical freak from a flashy school. He's Vernon Gholston and Kerry Rhodes all balled up into one big waste of a first round pick.

I think the best move would be to trade back to the early second round and pick up an additional 4th rounder. If a potential 1st day starting O-lineman like Charles Brown (USC) or Anthony Davis (Rutgers) were to slip to the #29 spot I think certain teams like the Rams, Lions or Browns would give up their early second round picks and an early 4th rounder to move up a few spots.

This is a deep draft. I would trade down and pick up Jerry Hughes in the early second and Mardy Gilard in the late second ( I mentioned both of these players in my previous post ) . In the fourth rounds and beyond I would target some big body's for the D-line. Players like C.J. Wilson from East Carolina, and his teammate Linval Joseph would be great values on day three.


I know how weak we are on the D-line and how little depth we have. But, rounds 4 through 6 will have some linemen (defense and offense) that could provide quality depth and could eventually grow into productive starters. I would stockpile as many picks as possible in these later rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment