Search This Blog

Sunday, March 22, 2009

WR's, RB's and QB's ..Oh my!


“Big Play Abe” Elam is still a Jet. As I stated in the past, allowing him to leave for Cleveland would have been a real mistake. Tanny stepped up to the plate and paid a player who has earned it. Now Abe knows this franchise values him and I expect more big plays in 09’.

I really like our Secondary: Revis, Sheppard, and Lowery at the corners, and Leonhard, Rhodes and Elam at the safety spots. I still feel we should use an early pick on the Wake Forest corner Alphonso Smith. He has been described as ‘Pac Man’ Jones without the baggage. I can’t say I spent a lot of Saturdays watching Smith play, but I have seen a lot of highlight footage of him on the field and there is no question he is a playmaking ball hawk. I also like the fact that there isn’t one negative assessment of Smith from any scout or expert anywhere. There are no sure things in the NFL draft but this guy could be the real article.

Four of our games this year will be against T.O., Lee Evans and the supporting cast from the Bills and Moss, Welker, Galloway and Brady in New England. Just to be a wild card we are going to need a top 5 secondary in 2009. Some may say a high draft pick like Smith is overkill considering the talent we have at that position, I say one or two major injuries and we are toast.

I am excited about Thomas Jones making waves by skipping the Jets off-season workout program and team meetings. Why is that? I hope it will push the front office to make RB a top priority with our 1st round draft pick. Jones will be hitting the wall very soon. He is 30 years old and historically that’s the beginning of the end for most NFL backs. Recently I wrote about Curtis Martin and how much I admire him. He’s everything that Jones is not.

Jones got a 4 year 20 million dollar deal 2 years ago. The contract was front loaded meaning in 07’ and 08’ he got a large portion of the money. The way it is structured in year 3 (2009) he would see less than 1 million. He had a lack luster season in 07’ and collected a boat load of cash. In 08’ running behind a 100 million dollar O-line he made the probowl. Now that it’s time to pay the Jets back for their early investment he is starting to cry and looking for a big extension. He knows that no one is giving a 30 year old back a big money extension. He also knows he is an important part of our offense and that the Jets are under a ton of pressure to win NOW. So, he decides to blackmail the team and cause a distraction.

He is a 'B minus' 'journeyman' running back. He is playing behind an excellent O-line on a team that is going to give him a lot of touches. He needs to shut his mouth and enjoy the next year or two as a probowler. As I said, all of this is a good thing in my opinion. Mr.T and the powers that be need to take a good hard look at Knowshon Moreno. He is another player that has long term NFL starter written all over him.

All of this QB talk to me is ridiculous. Jay Cutler, Mark Sanchez, Stafford, and even Brett Favre’s name is being thrown around. I am sticking behind my prediction, Clemens, Ratliff, and a veteran QB (most likely Garcia) will fight it out in training camp with Kellen as our starter opening day. I don’t think we pick up a QB anywhere in the 09’ draft. If Jay Cutler is somehow traded to the jets I am going on record saying I think it is a mistake. He doesn’t fit the identity of our offense. We need a game manager not a gun slinger. Funny, there’s this QB down in Miami who would probably fit in well with our team which is now being built in the Ravens image. A game manager… imagine that!

On the wide receiver front, I am just blown away by the interesting WR’s available throughout this year’s draft. So many young men with amazing upside. I wonder if the 2009 draft will rival the 1996 draft that produced a bounty of productive long-term starters. Some were bigger starts than others but they were all significant WR’s for years, some still playing.

I’ll name them in draft order, Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Eddie Kennison, Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds, Amani Toomer, Mushin Muhammad, Bobby Engram, Terrell Owens, and Joe Horn. WOW!!!. That’s one hell of a WR class. As a bit of a bitter note, we had the #1 pick in every round except the fourth and our main need and priority was wide receiver. We could have had Harrison, Owens, and Toomer. In stead we took ‘MEshawn’ #1 and Alex Van Dyke (Van-Who??) with the 1st pick of the second round. Not a shinning moment in Jets history.

All that being said, I am in favor of taking two WR’s in this draft. An early pick like Kenny Britt in the second round, and maybe a project player like Ramses Barden from Cal-Poly. This 6’6” 230lb beast has potential. His speed in not elite and he plays for a small school. Therefore he will be available in the 3rd or 4th round. His size and jumping ability can be a real asset in the red zone and can really help the learning curve of a young QB. Ask Eli Manning how much it meant to have a target like Burress in the early stages of his NFL career. This player was productive in school and has good enough speed to be a weapon in this league.

I am still wishing upon a star that the Jets will sign Torry Holt to short money, but with a big question mark at the QB spot for us I am sure Holt will have better options. He is over-the-hill, but he still has gas in the tank and can be a real leader on our WR corps. I am not usually in favor of old, big name free agents but I have a feeling he could be the missing link for our offense. I can in vision him lining up all over the place and creating mismatches.
J.Wagner

No comments:

Post a Comment