Search This Blog

Thursday, March 5, 2009

The veteran wide-out carousel...



Eric Mangini is purging his roster in Cleveland. The newest Brown on the chopping block is Braylon Edwards. The trading block might be a more accurate way to describe Edwards’s current status. My opinion on this player is that he could quite possibly be the most dynamic and productive receiver in this league for the next 4 to 5 years. He could probably be very productive well past that time frame; I am referring to him being the top WR in the league, the #1 guy. I don't see any character issues, and as for his drop in production last year, that has everything to do with the musical chairs situation at QB for the Browns in 08'.

A player this good, this young, who doesn't have a rap sheet of off the field issues and is available via trade is a rarity. I would give up a 1st and a 3rd for him, he's that valuable. Even though Mr. T fired Mangini, he and Eric are supposedly still close friends. He should be able to make this happen. With a WR corps like Edwards, Cotchery, Stuckey, and Clowney, Kellen Clemens would have every opportunity to make it happen. I would also consider a player/draft pick package. Sean Ellis and a 1st? Maybe throw in Brad Smith for good measure? I don't know, just make it happen!

I really have little interest or opinion on Terrell Owens being dropped. He will get a job, and I don't believe all these teams that have already said they are not interested. ESPN reports that 29 NFL teams are either not in the market for a WR (Arizona, Bengals, Patriots...ect.) or just don't want Owens. That’s a lot of big talk to me. I believe Mr. T doesn't want Owens, and I am 99% sure the Giants wouldn't touch him, but teams like Minnesota, Chicago, Jacksonville, and even San Diego will take a close look. They may look very quietly, but with the pressure GM's and coaches are under to win, a 1000+ yard, 10+ TD WR will be very interesting. I think he gets way too much criticism, and I also don't want him anywhere near my team!

Another wideout who may become available is Tory Holt. Loved him in his prime and I still think he has something left in the tank. Again, this is a veteran #1 guy who could who could really help the learning curve of whom ever ends up behind center for us. If Holt is released I feel very confident the Patriots will make a run at him. For that reason alone I would look close at this playmaker. Holt won't play for the Rams next year, and if they can't make a trade happen they will be forced to drop him. Saying he's unhappy would be a gross understatement. I really think he has something to prove. He wants out of St Louis because he wants to win, it has nothing to do with money.

We need a true #1 WR if we plan on making the playoffs in 09'.

J.Wagner

No comments:

Post a Comment