Search This Blog

Monday, March 2, 2009

As the dust settles after a busy FA weekend...


One of the most common mistakes for any die hard fan is viewing the off-season with blinders on and over examining each move the team makes (or doesn’t make). DE, CB and WR are our top team needs in my opinion, as I have stated for the past few weeks. I don’t view the QB situation with the same urgency as others. I think our secondary, D-line and WR corps need to be bolstered.

So far Mike Tannenbaum has addressed the secondary bringing in Lito Shepard. On a local radio station Mr. T was very honest when he said he sees Lito as our #2 CB. He also said this is not a negative reflection on Dwight Lowery and that he was pleased with his rookie performance in 08’.

He also spoke about our QB situation and seems to share my view. He says he is confident with our 3 young signal callers and if the right situation should arise with a veteran free agent he would take a look.

A new development this week has been the growing tensions in Denver between Jay Cutler and the Broncos. Some reports say that things have gotten so bad so fast that he has contacted the team demanding a trade. Would Cutler fit the Jets? He brings a lot to the table, but he has diabetes, and I think his highly productive years won’t last into his 30’s. I just don’t feel his body will be able to handle the game for more than a few more years. I love the heart he plays with. You can see he is very fatigued during games and even seems to be in pain from time to time. I give him credit, but I wouldn’t give up much for him.

J.C. was the 3rd overall QB picked in the 06’ draft, and Kellen Clemens was number 4. As Jet fans we have to accept that we know nothing about Kellen. He has had some low lights and a handful of highlights in his very limited playing time. 2007 showed us nothing about this player. Peyton Manning would have struggled with the offensive personnel we fielded that year. I feel that Jet fans are way too high on Ratliff and too critical of Kellen. Let them fight it out. I still think we will be picking up Jeff Garcia as insurance, but the front office is letting the market settle a bit so we don’t overpay for a guy with one or two years left.

The WR dept. is drawing a lot of attention from fans and you don’t have to be a football guru to see we have a gaping hole there. T.J. Housmazadeh is no longer available, and he was the only debatable #1 WR on the market. For the record I was right, he signed a multiyear 40million dollar deal with the Seahawks. Way too long and too much coin for a guy with maybe 2 big years left in him.

The draft is looking very interesting and our #17 overall pick has become more dynamic. The latest mock drafts have Mark Sanchez slipping down the board to us. I think there is ZERO chance we take a QB early in this draft. That being said, teams that draft after us in the first round like the Bucs, Lions and Vikings would have a big interest in the QB from USC. If Detroit doesn’t take a QB #1 overall they will be drooling to move ahead of the Bucs to steal Sanchez. I would be open to trading down a few spots if it included an early 2nd rounder as well.

With all of their holes to fill, would Detroit give up the #20 overall pick as well as the first pick of the second round to leap frog Tampa up to our #17 and snatch Sanchez? Honestly, I doubt it. But if he fell to us and the Lions make a move I would take it in a minute. Knowshon Moreno looks like he will be a late 1st rounder and Alphonso Smith, the CB from Wake Forest I am so high on, looks like he will be available in the early second round. I’d pick em’ both up, if this trade materialized.

I know HB and CB are not on most fans list as our pressing team needs, but I just don’t see a ready made #1 WR in this draft, especially with Crabtree being injured. There are surely some future #1 wideouts, but we need a go to guy now, not 3 years from now. This draft is also deep at WR, so I think we will find excellent quality later in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Considering the big money and commitments that are demanded by players in the top 35 of the draft we should target guys who can have and immediate and long term impact.

Two quick points to wrap things up. #1. Our D-line need to be shored up, ideally with a veteran FA as a starter and a rookie for depth. I had my eye on Chris Canty from Dallas and the Giants beat us to him. Igor Olshansky is still out there. Not my first choice, but 6’6” 300lbs DE’s don’t grow on trees. #2. The Jets need to sign Jim Leonard the SS FA who played for Rex in Baltimore. My dream secondary of Revis, Lowery, Sheppard, and Alphonso Smith at CB, with Elam, Rhodes and Leonard as our safeties can be a reality. Boy would it be a sick group!


I feel the Jets will be making some more signings in the next week or so. Don’t be shocked if some blockbuster trade suddenly appears for a WR either.






J.Wagner

No comments:

Post a Comment