Search This Blog

Saturday, August 4, 2012

What I think of the 2012 Jets... so far


Here we are... it's early August. ESPN is camped out in Cortland watching the Tebow show and Santonio Holmes is sitting around doing nothing because of an ailment known as "General Soarness". It's a circus, Rex is the ring master and fans have no idea what to expect once September rolls around. I've had this blog for years and I am an eternal optimist when it comes to my beloved NY Jets. However, for the first time since the mid 90's I am predicting that Jets won't make the playoffs. I will be rooting for them every week and I want nothing more than to be wrong. I won't spew negativity week in and week out, but I have no desire to sugar coat this group of players and coaches either.

Let's start with what I like:

Love the addition of Sparano. I can easily see him taking over for Rex once he is 'jettisoned', no pun intended. This guy is the real deal and he will break Holmes one way or another. Expect to see number 10 sitting on the sidelines watching games often this season.

I like some of our few agent moves including the addition of Yerimiah Bell, Chaz Shilens and Stephon Heyer.  They provide solid depth. I would really like the Jets to find a way to land T Marcus McNeil sooner rather than later. I would also be OK with Buress coming back for a 1 year 1.5 million dollar deal. I think that may happen, but Plax is holding out for a major WR injury during the pre-season to see if he can cash in for a contract probably double what I just mentioned.

I like our draft. Couples, Hill, Davis and SS Antonio Allen all have opportunities to not just get on the field but to contribute heavily in 2012. Any or all of these 4 players could be starters a some point of the season. They all have long term potential as well. A+ draft on paper, hope it manifests into an A+ as we look back over the years.

Here's what I didn't like:

The retention of Matt Cavanugh as QB coach. Years ago I use to hate watching the camera pan to the sidelines and a shot of Eric Mangini chewing his gum like a cow with a passion-less expression on his face. It's didn't matter if we had just scored, just turned the ball over. Man-Gi-Nah would just stand there and stare. Hate that dude.

More recently I hate watching Sanchez walk off the field and sit down with Cavanugh and look at pictures from the previous series. Sanchez never pumps up his team mates between series or spends much time with the OC. Instead he runs over to his BFF and hides behind print outs. What Mark is missing Cavanugh can't give him.

The retention of Holmes. I know it was near impossible to trade or release this player because of how his contract is structured. I think he would have ended up collecting over 25 million for one season and he would have generated a huge cap penalty. Right now we are handcuffed to this douche bag. There were some amazing Free Agent WR's on the market this year, but there was no way we could chase them. Sad.

After the way he acted at the end of the season he should be gone. He has started 2012 on a roll yelling and arguing with coaches, criticizing the gameplan and sitting out practice over and over. And it's only the first week of August. This one guy can destroy our locker room and season. If we don't make the playoffs and Holmes doesn't put up at least 1,000 yards and 8 TD's Woody should fire Tannenbaum. Period. He traded for him and he gave him the stupid contract.

The retention of Wayne Hunter. If you play at a D- level for 16 games as a starter you should be gone. It's that simple. I LOVE our other 4 O-linemen, but you can't have a matador at RT.

The backfield remaining status quo. I hate our RB's. Greene is a sluggish big bodied runner with ZERO vision. McNight is now, always has been and always will be an underachiever. Powell looks useless in TC so far and Ganaway was an interesting player in college, but I am not optimistic with him because of Mr. T's horrible track record drafting backs.

The addition of LaRon Landry. This dude is made of paper machete. I would feel more comfortable with Chad Pennington lining up at Saftey for us durability wise. And if he stays healthy Gronk will destroy him anyways. Flashy non-impact moves. That will be Mr. T's legacy once he is gone.

What I can careless about:

The addition of #15. I like Tebow, and I think the 4th round price was OK. I just don't care. If Sanchez can't handle the pressure of this guy pushing him for his job, or Tim stepping in on 3rd down and in the redzone, he has the WRONG job. Which is probably the case.


No comments:

Post a Comment