Search This Blog

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Random thoughts on all of the AFC teams...


I couldn't be more excited about the 2012 NFL season. It should be a season full of surprises. Last year was a weird one because of the lock out. Teams will be much more prepared entering this season and some of the big moves that were made in 2011 that may not have worked out may start to take shape in the coming weeks. Teams like the Eagles that started very slow in 2011 will dominate in 2012. Here's analysis of every AFC team other than the NY Jets.

The Pats: Unless Danny Woodhead can put up 1,200 yards rushing I think they will simply be too 1 demensional on offense. The defense may improve with the addition of 7 defensive players from the draft alone, but I don't see them making much noise this year. Brady is fading quick. I see them as a Wildcard with another early exit in the post season. 10-6

The Bills: They are overly hyped but I do think they will win the AFC East. All that matters on that team is how Fitzpatrick plays. If he plays solid football for 16 games and limits the turnovers they win 10 games and the Division. Their defense is simply amazing, their backfield sports one of the best one two punches in the NFL, and  their Special Teams is wicked. Watch out for Stevie Johnson emerging as a top 10 receiver in the league. 10-6

The Phins: HOTTT MESSS. Hard Knocks will be fun. Their season will not. I am pretty sure I could land the 6th or 7th WR spot on that squad. Why in the name of everything holy would you bring in a guy like Brandon Marshall and trade him away so quick? You knew what you were getting. I'm not saying I would want that nut job on my team, but he was the centerpiece of their offense. That team would have been a great landing spot for Tebow. Imagine he and Bush in the same backfield. They were foolish for dumping Sparano and treating him like a second class citizen while he was there. I hope he takes it out on them for years here in NY. The Tannenhill draft choice made no sense BTW. 5-11

The Ravens: I don't know how you recover from that dropped pass in the AFCCG vs. the Patriots. Flacco proved a lot to me during the playoffs last year. They locked up Rice which is the good news, they have probably lost Suggs for the year, thats tough. When will Reed and Lewis hit the wall? Interesting team in 2012. Lot's of questions and lot's of upside. 10-6

The Bengals: Dalton and Green were simply spectacular in 2011. Last year I posted saying the only reason they drafted that QB was because his hair was orange. Well, the Bengals may have gotten lucky because they have a real QB. I am rarely disappointed with the roster they assemble each year, but I can't get over the fact they still have Marvin Lewis as their HC. 10 seasons and not one playoff win. With my new definition of success for an NFL season being winning at least one playoff game they have failed for a decade. If Lewis leads this team to a championship the worst team in professional sports will look brilliant. Oh, BTW that's never going to happen. 8-8

The Steelers: No way I see Haley and Rothesberger co-existing in Pittsburgh. They hate each other already. I think Haley is a cancer and I have no idea why any teams are into this guy. I am SO GLAD the Jets didn't sign him to our coaching staff. The Mike Wallace situation is concerning. The defense is Old. They know hat they are doing as an organization, but right now I just can't see what their strategy is for 2012. 7-9

The Browns: Why does everyone automatically believe that this 28 year old rookie QB is more qualified to win games in 2012 as compared to Colt McCoy? Why did their owner sell the team to a lifelong Steeler fan? Holmgren, Shrumur, Weeden, Heckert Jr.... who's in charge? What's their identity? If they win 5 games I will be shocked. 4-12.

The Texans: On paper they look formitable, but their QB has never won a playoff game in his 10 year career and they lost some pretty important pieces to free agency. They are in a weak division so they will probably make the playoffs, I just don't see them as a significant force or story in 2012. 10-6

The Colts: They are switching to a 3-4 and moving 2 of the best pass rushing DE's in the history of the league to LB. Interesting I guess. One move that caught my attention this offseason was reggie Wayne re-uping with the Colts instead of following Manning to Denver. Could be brilliant move in the long run. And Mr. Luck should be very grateful Reggie stayed put. Their owner is an absolutely creepy creeper. Those ridiculous tweets keep coming. Shut up and cash those checks Irsay! 3-13

The Jags: Mike Mularkey is and always has been over rated, they came up short on the Tebow sweepstakes (lucky us) and they drafted that crazy eyed WR Blackmon... and MJD is holding out. That's a recepit for disaster. 4-12

The Titans: If they played Hasselbeck all season they can probably win 8 games. At this point how can you do that? You have to see if Jake Lockart is going to be the guy or not, and if you aren't going to make the playoffs what's the difference? I think there is a huge chance that Chris Johnson may be done. I hope not, but considering what a lackluster offense he is playing in he may get chewed up and spit out by that division. The departure of Finnegan to St Louis will be devastating to a defense that was very underrated for the past few years. 7-9

The Broncos: For the life of me I can't understand how or why Manning did not end up on the 49ers. I think the Bronco's were a huge mistake. The Chiefs are going to be a force this year and The Chargers have one of the top QB's in the game. The NFC West would have been a weaker division and the 9'ers have a lights out squad. I think he will regret going to the mile high city. No playoffs and the bloom will be off the rose by mid-season. 8-8

The Chiefs: Love the work Scott Piolli has done in the midwest. He made the right choice with Romeo Crennel. As long as they don't get absolutely devistated by injuries like they did in 2011 they win that division and scare a lot of people heading into the post season. The division is just tough enough for them to be battle tested. 11-5

The Chargers: Philip Rivers has won me over during the past few seasons. They brought in some interesting role players via Free Agency like WR's Meachem and Roscoe Parrish. They always seem to chase the flashy pass rushing LB prospects in the draft, and they usually pan out... at least in the beginning. I think this will be Norv's last stand. 6-10

The Raiders: They let a bunch of their interesting young WR's walk over the past few months including Chaz Shilens who landed in NY. I am facinated to see what happens with Palmer. He started to come on at the end of the season. He wanted out of Cinncinatti so bad... be careful what you wish for. That being said, if the running game clicks Palmer can help them win games. 8-8

So I see the Bills, Chiefs, Ravens and Texans winning their divisions. Patriots and Bengals as the wildcards.

My AFC championship game is Chiefs and Bengals. Chiefs advance to the Superbowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment