Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Our "apartment" is being demolished...


... and we can now call ourselves homeowners! The largest pile of shit in the history of the planet earth (better know as Giants Stadium) began demolition earlier this month.

My wife and I are going to officially become homeowners in a few days, and we are excited. I must say that I feel so grown up now that I will own my home, instead of leasing for so many years. I am kinda' embarrassed that my favorite professional sports team is also sharing this experience with me after 50 years of existence.

For the first time in their storied history the Jets and their fans will have their own home stadium... well kinda'. When Woody Johnson become the owner of the Jets almost a decade ago he promised one thing; that our beloved football team would no longer be second class citizens. He promised to remedy the situation that had Jets fans supporting the only team in the NFL without their own shrine.

For over twenty years I have had only two desires as a Jets fan. #1, I want to see the Jets win the Superbowl before I die. #2, I want to be able to go and cheer for my team in THEIR house. I even had a name for it: "Namath Field". A massive statue of Broadway Joe with his index finger held up while running off the field after Superbowl III at the entrance.

In true agonizing fashion, which has been the best way to describe my decades as a die hard fan of the Green and White, Woody and the boys began to tease us with mind blowing drawings of the future 'West Side Stadium', also know as the New York Sports and Convention Center.


It was everything I ever dreamt it could be. Woody was willing to put up 800 million of his own money, and because a retractable roof was going to be included the NFL conditionally awarded the 2010 Superbowl to NYC (if the NYSCC was approved). NYC was also in the running for the 2012 Olympics.

The stadium was apposed and defeated by the evil powers that own Cablevision and MSG. The NYSCC would have been major competition for MSG, so they started a marketing champaign of miss-information persuading the vote against our stadium based on the fact municipal funds would be necessary to make it happen.

If the NYSCC would have materialized, NYC would have a Superbowl every four years... guaranteed. The revenue the city of NY would have collected from just ONE SB would have more than re-paid the taxpayers, not to mention the Olympics.

Jets fans were left with a vision of what could have been and a short time later the deal was announced to continue to SHARE a home-field with the Va-giants. At least I won't have to stare at a massive sign that says "Giants Stadium" anymore when I'm tailgating. I know this joint-stadium makes a lot of sense especially considering the state of the economy... for any other teams I wouldn't say it is such an abomination.

If two teams share the new stadium that is being planned in L.A. I would say that could work out well. However, if you are Woody Johnson and you own the only team in NFL history to never have it's own home-field... in the biggest market in all of pro-sports, you have to have a better plan-B than the stadium that will most likely be know as Jet-Blue. There are more important things in life than football, but considering the amount of time and money true Jets fans spend on this team... we deserve a place that is exclusively for us.

I for one will NEVER pay for a PSL or season tickets in our new home. And, if the NYSCC would have happened, I would have begged, borrowed and stole to have been able to be a part of that. I have excepted that I will never realize my dream of the Jets having their own home in my lifetime... but... please Lord... let their be a Lombardi Trophy in our (near) future.

No comments:

Post a Comment