Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2009

A true Jets fan needs to be "ALL IN"....


What do the last 10 SB champs have in common? Do they all have an elite QB? Do they all have brilliant accomplished coaches? What about their defenses... from what I hear defense wins championships. To be completely honest... I don't really see what they have in common. Lets break them down.

The Ravens and Patriots probably had the best overall defenses of the group. That being said they are very different when it comes to the quality of the QB's for their respective teams and the experience of their head coaches. Obviously Trent Dilfer doesn't compare very well to Brady, and Belichick is regarded as a much superior coach to Brian Billick.

On the other side of the fence, teams like the Rams and Colts did not have elite defenses but they did have two of the most dominate QB's we have seen in decades. The last 10 years have produced veteran SB champion QB's like Elway and Peyton Manning. These are guys who waited a long time to get to the top of the mountain and used there leadership and experience to guide their teams. Other teams like the 2001 Pats and 2005 Steelers had 2nd year QB's who were wet behind the ears.

Some of these teams had dominate regular season records and carried their success into the post season and a more recent trend has had wildcard teams sneaking into the post season and making a late run. Winning your division and earning a bye week during the wildcard round is not necessarily a formula for making it to the top.

That being said one thing that has been proven over and over again; the one thing we could count on in this unpredictable league is rookie QB's certainly can't win consistently and lead their team to the post season. Then came Roethlisberger, Ryan and Flacco.

So what does this all mean to me? Their is no concrete formula for winning a Superbowl in this day and age. I have given my humble opinion on the miscues and success's of this offseason. I don't like the idea of a rookie QB, I am not thrilled with our WR corps. or our defensive line. If Kris Jenkins or Dustin Keller go down I think it could be a real disaster for our team, and no team should be 1 injury away from a wasted season. We have some serious depth issues.

That being said if you are going to be a real Jets fan you need to go all in. I hated the Favre trade but I rooted for him and enjoyed the first 11 games of the 2008 season as much as anyone else. Now is the time to stop the analysis and get behind our team. We have an O-line and a backfield that should be able to run the ball against anyone, provided we can put together a passing game. Our receivers are a questionable bunch, but they are led by a true warrior in Jericho Cotchery. I refer to him as 'Cotch-Diesel', because of his powerful legs and tenacious playing style. He's someone we can be proud of!

I have already sung the praises of our secondary and linebackers. Our D-line is my least favorite squad but Sean Ellis has given his all for almost a decade and Kris Jenkins is a man amongst boys on the football field. Our defense and special teams could become a fantasy football gem and hopefully an elite group in REAL football.

My prediction looking at our schedule is 8-8 at best and no shot at the post season. Thats what my mind tells me, my heart says division champs and we make a run for the Superbowl. Looking back at the 2008 Atlanta Falcons, my analysis was not a positive one. I thought they had real chance at the worst record in football and the top pick in the 2009 draft. Instead Mike Smith took over a franchise in complete turmoil and put together one hell of season.

He convinced his team they could win on any given sunday, put his playmakers in a position to succeed and demanded they play disciplined football. They made the post season and did it all with a rookie QB. 'Matty Ice' made it happen and obviously this team and it's overall formula caught the eye of our GM and front office and surely played a role in our aggressive move to trade up for 'Dirty' Sanchez and the hiring of Rex Ryan.

My choice behind center is Kellen Clemens. I have liked him from day one. If he becomes our starter and emerges as our leader we would have nothing to loose with Sanchez. He could still be trade bait down the road. If Mark wins the starting job I will back him with all my heart... not because I think he is the chosen one, but because he wears the green and white. I'm sure if he helps us wins games he will grow on me in time.

Our 2009 season is here.... and all I have left to say is J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

No comments:

Post a Comment