Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

NY Jets vs. Baltimore Ravens, pre-season week #2


As I post this almost every news organization on the planet is reporting Mark Sanchez will be officially named as the starting QB for the 2009 Jets.

The competition is over. I have a hard time understanding the reasoning behind this decision. Obviously I am not in the practices and I am sure the coaching staff knows a lot more about all of this than I do. That being said, from what I have read about their performances in camp and what I have witnessed in the first two pre-season games Sanchez looks like a rookie. He is telegraphing his passes, seems rattled in the pocket and needs time to adjust to the speed of the NFL. All of this is natural and normal. Since things are about even between these two signal callers, why not start the veteran and give the rookie more time to grow.

I say give Clemens six games. If he can lead us to a .500 record or better you let him finish the season. If he looks bad you move onto the Sanchez era. With the rookie starting, we have no plan B. If Sanchez is a complete train wreck through the first 6 to 8 games what do we do next? Do we just let him put up a 4-12 season with 13 TD's and 28 picks? He will be buried and eaten alive by the NY press.

Pennington didn't start right away and he was a first round pick. Neither did Eli Manning, Carson Palmer or Jay Cutler. I am not always trying to be a nay sayer but I see this as a mistake that could have long lasting ramifications. There is such a thing as being "shell shocked" in this league. Right now Sanchez is full of piss and vinegar, 16 games of getting his ass handed to him could break his confidence for good.

Now for the game analysis. Our 2nd and 3rd string defensive players were a big concern in week one and they stepped up this week. I was very impressed by the 6'8' 310lb DT Ropati Pitoitua. This young Washington St. prospect lookls like he will be able to contribute this year and may have some great upside. Howard Greene is a bit' over the hill', but he should also have a good impact in 2009. Jamaal Westerman, the Rutgers alumni, may have a bigger role in our defense than Gholston in 2009, which is a very sad statement. I am a big believer in depth, I think every great NFL team has hungry players pushing the starters for their jobs.

On offense obviously Clowney is a stand out and he very well may develop into an elite wideout one day. However, I think its a bit premature to make him our #2. He was an explosive player at Virginia Tech and was expected to have a monster season entering his senior year (2006). He missed the first month of the season because of an emergency appendectomy and therefore slipped in the draft. The packers picked him up in the 5th round, but later waived him because they had such a strong WR squad. Luckily he fell to us.

He's still young, give him time to develop, frankly Stucky is a much more solid all around WR right now. I am very concerned about #89 as our #1 wideout. He has been non-existent during our first two preseason games, and I am afraid he may disappear all together in 09'. Cotchery, Stuckey, Keller, Clowney and Sanchez desperately need a true #1 WR in order to be successful. I will not change my opinion on this. Cotchery is a #2, Stuckey is a slot WR, and Clowney is a change of pace/deep threat (at this stage of his career). You can't make a player something he is not.

As for Mr. Washington, he use to be know as 'the poor mans Reggie Bush"... he will be able to by the house next door to #25 very soon if he chooses. Let me say this in no uncertain terms: Leon Washington is a far superior NFL player than Reggie Bush. He is a bit undersized for a RB but he runs between the tackles with authority. He has great quickness and vision and most importantly he is durable. He'll get paid, I hope he doesn't get fat and happy and keeps playing with that chip on his shoulder.

I am very interested in our next game against the "Va-Giants". They have some of the most wicked pass rushers in the NFL and #6 should play at least two full quarters if not part of the third. He goes from the Ravens to the Giants defense... back to back... with 4 days rest. I guess that what you call out of the frying pan and into the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment