Search This Blog

Monday, April 27, 2015

Shane Ray: Text Book Self-destruction



I have absolutely campaigned for the Jets to use their #6 overall pick on Shane Ray. I'd rank Williams and Fowler as better overall players, but we certainly don't need another D-linemen, and Fowler will be gone by 6. I was not only enamored by his talent, but I really liked what I saw in interviews. The other variable was that he is a former teammate of Sheldon Richardson. We have a big need at this position, and he seemed like the perfect fit.

A week ago a reporter leaked info regarding a well known toe injury that Ray has struggled with since the senior bowl. It was reported that he may need surgery and could be out 5 months. This was viewed as a major blow to his draft value. I, for one, was not shaken from my stance that he was right for the Jets, and worth a top 10 pick.

Today Ray was found with Marijuana during a routine traffic stop. I simply can't wrap my mind around that. If there was ever a week of your life that you shouldn't be driving around with weed, its 72 hours before the NFL draft.

This is not only reckless but it's simply stupid. I can't endorse taking this guy in any round after this latest idiotic move. he will most likely slip to the mid 2nd round, and the team that takes him is getting an elite talent. I just don't want my team rolling the dice on a guy like this that will definitely disappoint us over and over and over off the field.

And for anyone who wants to compare him to Lawrence Taylor... He is not anywhere near as talented, and LT wouldn't have last 3 years in todays NFL with all of the media exposure including social media. Cell phone videos of him snorting crank off of some strippers tits would have surfaced quickly and he would have been done.

So where do we go with our pick now? I'd really like to see us trade down. My prayer is that either Cooper or White are somehow still on the board at #6 and the Jets bait a team like the Browns to reach and trade up. If we moved down as far as #20 we can land a potential elite, 10 year starter for our O-line. If we can land a guy like Peat, La'el Collins or Humphries, as well as picking up more picks this year and next I'd be thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment